Tutorial On Rooting Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus
Recently developer confirms that TWRP is available for S9 and S9 Plus but not all the S series variant especially to the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus, so make sure also that you check the supported variant devices we provided here.
How To Install TWRP Recovery for Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus
The first thing you need to do is to Flash or Install TWRP recovery, this is a custom recovery so we can flash SuperSU easily and have a root access.
This tutorial is for Exynox Edition ONLY. The only restriction currently is that TWRP is not available for Snapdragon Edition, thus leaving some American users in the dark. This is because of the Snapdragon backed Galaxy S9/S9+ is carrier-locked, and it’s quite difficult to unlock the bootloader of American Edition.[readmore]
Supported Models for TWRP Recovery
- G965F (Exynos 9810)
- G965N (Exynos 9810)
- G9658 (Exynos 9810)
- G965FD (Exynos 9810)
We need to install the Samsung Galaxy USB Driver first before doing any process, this is essential to perform installing TWRP recovery successfully, download the USB driver and install it to your PC or laptop.
Important Thing to Do Before Rooting Your Device
- Perform a Full-backup of your data, there are lots of backup apps like titanium backup, helium and many more, some of the apps required rooting access to fully perform backup some of it is available for non-rooted users, this process will wipe out your data so please perform a backup first.
- Ensure that you have at least 80% of Battery to avoid any issues.
- Better sync your data lie phonebooks and photos.
- Download Required Files Provided.
- Enable the USB Debugging to follow the steps provided.
- Rooting Samsung Galaxy J2 2017 Without Using PC (Tutorial)
- Rooting Oppo F7 Without Using PC (Tutorial)
- NBA LIVE Mobile Basketball APK Download for Android
Steps by Step Guide for Flashing TWRP Recovery
- Download the TWRP File (twrp-3.2.1-2-star2lte.img – 39.5M)and place it anywhere from your Computer that you can easily find later. (better to select the latest image file)
- Get the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0-star .zip (836 KB)
- Also, Download the Odin Flash Tool (Odin3_v3.13.1 .zip – 3.4 MB)
- Copy the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0-star .zip file to your internal storage
- Turn-Off your Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus and boot it to Download Mode simply follow the steps below
– While the phone is off Press and Hold Key Volume Down + Bixby + Power Button wait until you see a warning message then press the Volume Up to proceed into Download Mode.
- Install USB Driver
- Locate the Odin Tool your download earlier from your PC then extract it using WinRAR zip just right click your mouse on the zip file and click extract.
- Open the Odin Tool and while it is open, go and connect your USB cable while your Smartphone S9 Plus is currently in download MODE.
- Importantly make sure you see that Odin Tool detected your device, just check this at the top left corner below the ID:COM once you see some data (Added!!) and the box below of it is blue then it means your device is detected, if not please remove the USB cable and re-install the USB Driver.
- On the Odin Tool app while your S9 Plus is connected click the button AP and locate the file .tar (TWRP file) and hit ok to load it.
- Make sure that you uncheck the Auto Reboot.
- Make sure that Reset Time is check.
- Review all the steps above and once you are sure to hit the START button to begin the TWRP flashing, do not touch or remove your phone while flashing is on progress, just wait until the process is completed.
- Now, after flashing is completed you can now press and hold the key Volume Down + Bixby + Power Button at the same time until you see that the screen turns to black, then released now the VOLUME Down button and switch hold press to VOLUME Up while Bixby is still in press(This will reboot or restart your phone into recovery mode).
- You will now see the TWRP Custom Recovery, for the first boot the device will prompt you to modify system just simply tap to decline.
- Go Wipe Cache and Wipe Data (This is why we ask you to perform a backup first)
- Go to TWRP Custom Recovery home screen and just tap INSTALL > INSTALL IMAGE (check kernel and Boot Partition) then locate the no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0-star .zip, once done go reboot your device.
- Done! you now have TWRP custom recovery
TIPS: When you boot your device, there is a prompt to recover or restore stock recovery so if you love to restore the original stock recovery just tap it or if you want to permanently placed the TWRP recovery on your device perform the process below using the popular free Android Apps called “ES File Manager (Rooted user)”
Just Open the ES File Manager and rename or remove the files listed below via /system directory.
Guide on Rooting Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus after Flashing TWRP Recovery
- Download the NEMESIS KERNEL (NEMESISKERNEL_S9_S9Plus_V1.0.0 .zip – 34.3MB) and SuperSU SR5 (SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-201710 01224502.zip – 6.56MB) and place it anywhere on your computer.
- Connect your Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus on your PC via USB Cable connecter.
- Copy the 2 Zip files you downloaded earlier and place it to your SD Card or Internal Storage.
- Turn-Off your S9 Pls and remove it from your PC.
- Boot your pone into recovery mode or TWRP Custom Recovery Mode by simple pressing Volume Up + Bixby + Power button.
- On TWRP UI just tap now the INSTALL button and locate the NEMESIS KERNEL zip file you downloaded earlier, and then swipe to Confirm flashing and wait until flashing is completed.
- Now tap WIPE CACHE button to clean your firmware STOCK ROM or CUSTOM ROM.
- Next, is again tap the button INSTALL and locate the SuperSU zip file and swipe to confirm flashing.
- Reboot your device, it takes some time to boot stay back and relax for around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Go Download and install Root Checker app from google play store and check your device if it is successfully rooted.
(Also there are some extra tips that you can Root Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus using Magisk so better check also that, we will update this post once we get the correct process and that we prove it works to S9 Plus)
Congratulations! You now successfully root your device next thing you do is to start tweaking and customizing your device and make sure you know what you are doing.